New Member? Introduce yourself here!

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Re: New Member? Introduce yourself here!

Postby tamsin54 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 12:53 am

Hi, My name is Anne Kenyon, born Fox. I was born in my parents bungalow January 1954, our address was 3 Downham Rd, well I think it was number 3. I had a brother Trevor, sadly he died in a car accident at 22yrs old in 1979. We came to New Zealand to live, left Canvey in 1960 - 1961. I will post more info in one of the other threads.

I am so happy to have found this site, I remember so much about the house I was born in, neighbours, some of their names too ( thanks to my dear old Mum who constantly reminded us)

Thanks for accepting me into the 'fold' :D
tamsin54
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby NickR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:06 pm

Hello everyone, long-time lurker first time poster as they say!

My name is Nick Rutter and I lived on Canvey for the first 13 years of my life, in Westerland Avenue, before having to move to Wickford in 1996; I now live in Basildon. I still come back to the Island frequently though as a sister and nan still live there. My mum was born on Canvey and lived there for almost 50 years, and as I said my nan (her mum) still lives there and has done for over 60 years.

I've always been fascinated by the rich history of Canvey and the feeling of community - it's like coming home whenever I visit. Always love to hear the fantastic memories of the place from my mum's side of the family too. Hopefully now I've finally introduced myself you might see me around the forum a bit more!
NickR
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby booboo81 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:57 pm

Hi I'm sarah and I'm here trying to find some long lost family. I'm trying to locate/ hear anything about a family who I know lived at 'normanville', Lottem Road canvey island in 1953. The parents were called Frederick (fred//freddy?) hall and Joyce Hall and they had a daughter called Sharon Hall. Any info at all much appreciated x
booboo81
New Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:53 am

Hi Nick

What was your mum's maiden name? Did your gran also live in Westerland.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby DawnWinstone » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:44 pm

Hiya my name is Dawn and i am trying to find out some information on behalf of my partner, we are trying to find out some information about his grandad, he lived on Canvey in the 1960,s and we have been told he owned a greengrocers or something like that his name was Frederick Joseph Clarke so the shop could of been called Clarkes, that is all the information that we have i know its a long shot but if anyone can remember anything that would be very helpful as we have tried researching it and have found nothing,
thank you Dawn Winstone.
DawnWinstone
New Contributor

Postby NickR » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:32 pm

Wamburg wrote:Hi Nick

What was your mum's maiden name? Did your gran also live in Westerland.

Hello Wamburg; I'm terribly sorry for taking so long to reply - only just seen this! :roll:

Mum's maiden name was Lock (Doreen). My nan is Joan Lock, who worked for the WRVS for many years. She never lived in Westerland, she was at North Ave for over 40 years (Cedar Rd and Haven Rd before that; now due to ill-health she is at BUPA Godden Lodge in Thundersley).
NickR
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby TeresaKeech » Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:15 pm

Hi just became a new member.I found the site by chance.I lived on Canvey for 6 years in Berg Ave.my children were born in Rochford Hospital.I made a lot of friends there,some I still keep in touch with.I left there in 1969.I used to work at Dr.Lintners surgery in Grafton Rd.so I got to know lots of people.I have such fond memories of Canvey and we did try to move back there after living here only 6 months but it all fell through.My husband Don used to work at Goldings and he had a great boss who was also a friend.(Peter Golding).Sadly my husband passed away Sept.2012.Terry.
TeresaKeech
New Contributor

Postby silvertabbies » Tue May 28, 2013 12:44 pm

I've just joined as I am writing about my life and spent many happy school holidays in late 40s and early 50s at my grandparents bungalow on canvey

I have uploaded my memories here:

http://www.canveyisland.org/page_id__2146.aspx

Rob
silvertabbies
New Contributor

Postby RobGolding » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:46 pm

Hi
My name is Rob Golding and I lived on Canvey from 1944 until 1969 but my parents remained on the island until my dad died in 1989 and mum in 1996. I went to Long Road Primary and then Westcliff High. I emigrated to South Africa in 2004 and was delighted to find that my old friends John and Tricia Ellis (formally of Elm Road) are living about 20kms from me in Johannesburg. I lived in Craven Avenue until 1950 and then in Mayland Avenue. I have received several visits from "Canveyites" since moving here including Dean Musfelt, whose mum was the "dragon" at Dr. Lintners' surgery, Alan Boss and my aunt Doreen Smith.
If anybody remembers me or my family I would be pleased to hear from them.
RobGolding
New Contributor

Postby grahampk » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:08 am

leveya wrote:HI JUST FOUND YOUR SITE ITS VERY INFORMATIVE IV LIVED ON THE ISLAND ALL MY LIFE IM NOW 60 I WENT TO LEIGHBECK SCHOOL THEN ONTO CANVEY SECONDARY SCHOOL IT WOULD BE GOOD TO HEAR FROM OTHER ISLANDERS THAT REMEMBER ME.
TONY LEVEY

Hi Toney just checking once more whether you recieved my message some time back. Regards Graham Keys
grahampk
New Contributor

Previous

Return to Looking for People & Places