Roland, Thelma and Beatrice Francke

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Roland, Thelma and Beatrice Francke

Postby kpmills1 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:25 pm

I am looking for any one who may have information about Roland George Francke and family, wife Beatrice (nee. Fennell) and children, Albert Roland (1909), Thelma (1911), and Emily (1916). Roland Francke was a plumber / builder, and moved to Canvey Island, I think in the 1920's. He built a number of properties, including those is Thelma Avenue, Roland Lane, and Beatrice Avenue. He died in 1932 and at that time was listed as living at Inglenook, Long Road, Canvey Island. He left his estate to 2 people 1.his sister Maria Wilhelmina Searle (who according to the Kellys directory was running a guest house in Inglenook) and 2. to Emily Florence Braid, - I do not know her connection to Roland. By this time, his wife Beatrice seems to have been staying in Herne Bay, but whether this was because they were parted, or whether it was becasue she was nursing her mother, I am not sure.
I believe his daughter, Thelma, lived in Canvey Isand at least until after 1953, she had a son, 'bob'. It is possible her married name was Slack, but this is guess work on my part. There is a family story that her husband, went out to get a packet of cigarettes one day, and never came home again, I would imagine this might have been a 'news' story in Canvey Island, but have not been able to find anything about it.
If any one knows anything about the Francke family, their role in the development of canvey island, or what became of them/ their descendents, I would very much like to hear about this. I have a picture of Roland Franke etc. building a house in Canvey but have not yet worked out how to post this!!!

I look forward to hearing if any one has any information, warm regards
Karen
kpmills1
New Contributor

Re: Roland, Thelma and Beatrice Francke

Postby janp » Mon Aug 30, 2010 11:11 pm

Roland Francke was Francke R & Son Builders, Oysterfleet Road according to the 1929 Directory. He died in Southend Municipal Hospital 27 Apr 1932 and buried in St Katherine's Churchyard 30 Apr 1932. I have a picture of his headstone if you want it. The burial records state his residence as Fairlop Ave, Canvey Island. He was also a Councillor, Canvey Island Urban District Council. I do not know for how long but definately in 1929.
We have not come up with anything else on the archive at the moment. Love to have a picture to add to the CCA.
janp
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Postby kpmills1 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:06 pm

Thank you for your post, I would love to have picture of Roland Franckes headstone, can you see my email address from my registration, or do I need to post this.
Thank you for taking the trouble to look Roland up in the Archives.
I will look at the photo, and see if I can work out how to upload it, alternatively is there an email you would like me to send it to?

regards, Karen
kpmills1
New Contributor

Postby kpmills1 » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:53 pm

Jan

I could not work out how to post the picture I reference in my posting in the forum so have sent it to CCA@canveyisland.org

I am hoping you can access it from there - let me have an alternative email address if not.

If you have access to archives, could you tell me if you have any record of a Thomas Fennell. He was the father of Beatrice (Roland Franckes wife). He was a carpenter, and after a period in the USA he returned to England around 1926 saying that Oysterfleet was going to be his address. He may also have used the name Charles Henry Fennell.

Thanks for your help

Karen
kpmills1
New Contributor

Postby janp » Wed Sep 01, 2010 8:58 am

Hope you got the picture through ok
janp
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Postby CanveyAdministrator » Wed Sep 01, 2010 5:47 pm

I have the pictures!
Attachments
38 Card from Roland Frank Beatrice and son Peter.jpg
38 Card from Roland Fran beatrice & son Peter
38 Card from Roland Frank Beatrice and son Peter.jpg (54.81 KiB) Viewed 2822 times
CanveyAdministrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Looking for People & Places