STRANGER THAN SCIENCE? CANVEY’S TWO-LEGGED, FIVE-TOED FISHES

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

STRANGER THAN SCIENCE? CANVEY’S TWO-LEGGED, FIVE-TOED FISHES

Postby Robert » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:49 pm

At first I thought it was April first when browsing the www and I came across two curious sites that had obviously been copied one from the other, though one of them gave as source a book titled: Stranger Than Science, by Frank Edwards, 1959, Lyle Stuart, Inc. One of the sites gives November 1954 as the first find and August 11, 1954 for the second!!!, when the Rev. Joseph Overs walked Canvey’s beaches and made his strange discovery.
Remembering the curious fish image I had seen on Dave’s Canvey History site, I also found the newspaper cutting of 13 August 1954, both thanks to Geoff Barsby: ‘Fish with feet found on beach’. The over 4 ft long creature with ‘staring eyes’, a ‘large mouth’ and two feet on its stomach, ‘each with five toes’ had been battered against the rocks. A year earlier, says the report, ‘a peculier fish was found in almost the same place’ and identified as ‘a pocket or fiddler fish’ (though one of the web sites places the finds ‘a couple of miles’ apart).
As there are other ‘facts’ mentioned in the web tales, there must have been other mentions in the media, the ‘concave’ feet for instance and the thick brown or pig-like tough pink skin. The web reports have the creatures walking upright or at least able to do so. Does anyone still remember the actualities, the real stories so soon after the floods? Or is it a case of fertile imaginations? What happened to the beasts? Does anyone remember the Rev. Joseph D. Overs? Are there any chronologically challenged fishermen or beachcombers among Forum’s readers?
Robert
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Re: STRANGER THAN SCIENCE? CANVEY’S TWO-LEGGED, FIVE-TOED FI

Postby muddyfeet » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:12 am

I remember Joe Overs telling my grandmother all about them - I was quite scared at the time - they didn't sound like something you would like to meet when paddling!!!
muddyfeet
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Return to Looking for People & Places