Stella Maris

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Stella Maris

Postby Dave Bullock » Mon May 28, 2007 9:50 am

Maria has contacted this site with the following questions - Can anyone help?

I used to go on holiday to a Polish summer camp on Canvey Island. I visited yesterday and the only trace is Stella Maris Close. Do you know the history of the house called Stella Maris? Was it a boarding house? Who built it and what was it originally?

Regards

Maria
Dave Bullock
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Stella Maris

Postby Wamburg » Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:27 pm

There was a bungalow called Stalla Maris, roughly opposite the Bus Garage, which in the late 40s was owned by a lady called Mrs Tragesar. She was an elderly lady with a very pronounced stoop to her shoulders and had difficulty finding dresses to fit her properly. My mother, who was a dressmaker, used to make clothes for her.
At the time I attended Leigh Beck School but before I left to attend the Convent , when it opened, I used to go to Stella Maris for religious studies. I have a picture of a group of us standing outside the bungalow. We were mixed ages from about 5 or 6 to 10 years old. I'll fish it out and email it to Dave to put on the website.

I don't remember a camp there but Mrs Tragesar was a very kindly lady and may well have had young people staying there. I wonder if Tragesar is a Polish name. I'll see what i can find.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby ilo62 » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:29 pm

Yes, I have a lot of imformation on Stella Maris but is there anyone here on this site now??? Do respond if ther is lol
ilo62
New Contributor

Postby Graham Stevens » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:31 pm

Hi ilo62,
Pleased to hear you have info re Stella Maris. The Canvey Community Achive(CanveyIsland.org) is always keen to receive such information on Canvey's past. You can contact the Archive site directly or Dave on this, the Forum site.I'm sure there would be a lot of interest in the history of Stella Maris and it's Polish connections. I remember delivering bread and rolls there in the early 60s when the Polish young people were there and particularly the Polish flag on the flag-pole. In reply to your question, the big bungalow was pulled down and the land re-developed in the late 60s with a small estate(Stella Maris Close) on the lake side and two-storey flats facing Point Rd.
Graham.
Graham Stevens
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Return to Looking for People & Places