Name of Caretaker

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Name of Caretaker

Postby aled48 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Help please

I am trying to find the name of the caretaker of the King John School in Thundersley who was awarded a medal for his actions during the 1953 floods. I believe i may be related although distantly.

I knew him as Uncle Ted and his wife as Aunt May. As a boy of 12/13 in the early 60s along with my parents we use to visit them. On one occasion i remember Uncle Ted showing us a medal and family folklore says he was awarded it for his part in the floods. It had something to do with the school. Two of my cousins remember seeing a photo of him being presented with the medal by HM the Queen Mother.
I am trying to find his surname and what the medal was and the circumstances.

Any little thing would be appreciated

Thanks

Alan Perry
aled48
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Re: Name of Caretaker

Postby CAROL » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:18 pm

Hi there,
I dont know if I am helping you or not but at one of the schools I went to
the caretakers name was Foley.
Apart from the schools on Canvey I also went to King Johns, so it could have been
any one of them.
Hope it is of some help.
Carol
CAROL
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:32 pm

Bill Foley was the caretaker at Leigh Beck school. I think he originated from Hampshire. His wife used to sing with a local group and had a classically trained voice. They had one daughter, Myra and lived in Lime (now Limetree) Road. Their garden backed onto ours.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby Graeme » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:46 am

‘The Great Tide’ by Hilda Grieve provides an in dept account of the events as they occurred and I seem to remember does mentions a caretaker opening up a school in Thundersley. But I also seem to remember that the book did not refer to people by names at all.
Graeme
New Contributor

Postby aled48 » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks for the replies to my original post.

I have made further enquiries but to no avail. Having interogated my two cousins further they thought his surname may have been FARRELL or FARWELL. I emailed the school but the person who received my email had no knowledge of the incident at all. They did say they would make enquiries and if anything came to light they would let me know but have had nothing so far. I know i did not imagine seeing the medal and the fact my two cousins remembered seeing a photo with the QM something must have taken place. Oh well back to the drawing board.
aled48
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby aled48 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:12 am

Just thought I would let people know I have had a result in my quest. The name of the caretaker at King Johns School was Harold Edward FARWELL and the medal he received was the BEM for his services during the floods of 1953. I found a reference to him on the Benfleet History website. It seems he was not a blood relation after all. It was his wife who was related to me. She was the daughter of my grandmothers sister which made us first cousins once removed. Thanks to all who took time to help. Mystery solved.
aled48
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Return to Looking for People & Places