Searching for Doek, Dook, van d'Hoek, van den Hoek

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Searching for Doek, Dook, van d'Hoek, van den Hoek

Postby CanveyAdministrator » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:03 pm

Recieved via email - Can anyone help?

Lectori Salutant,

My name is Douwe Stellinga, I am very interested in history and genealogy, I am Dutch. In my holiday on Bali I am adressed to by a lady from Australia with the name Norma Dook. She is searching for her family history following a story of an old aunt of hers telling her that the origin of her Dook family lies with 2 Dutch brothers going to England as water engineers to "drain the Fens". They were attacked (according to the family story) and changed the family name Doek to the more English version Dook...

I read on the internet, that the name of Canvey Island might be related to this story..

Can you help me in connection to this story on the following:
Do you happen to know, where I could find the names of Dutch workers, working with Cornelius Vermuyden to drain the Fens?
Are there any people in the area of Canvey Island with the name "van Doek", "Doek" or "Dook"?

I pose this question to you, because I am very interested by the story of the Australian family Dook, originating from Holland, emigrating to England, later to Australia.

Regards and thank you in advance for you cooperation,

Douwe Stellinga

---------------------------

Lectori Salutant,

Second lettre:

The questions posed to you below are still open to me, but in the meantime I found out, that the name of the 2 brothers I am looking for could also be "van d'Hoek" or "van den Hoek".
So the question below has to be extended to: Are there any people in the area of Canvey Island with the name "van Doek", "Doek" or "Dook", or "van d'Hoek" or "van den Hoek"?
If you are willing to help me with this, I would be very much thankfull to you...

Regards

Douwe Stellinga
CanveyAdministrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Looking for People & Places