Can anyone help?

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Can anyone help?

Postby Kevin OBrien » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:44 am

Hi.
Can anyone remember the name of the guy who used to own the little hardware store at Lakeside? He was good friends with my Father (Arthur O'Brien) and Grandfather (Charlie Bennett) when we lived on the Island. He was quiet a character and used to also drink in the Corner club and the Canvey club opposite My mother is now in her mid 80's and she was talking about him just the other day but couldn't remember his name. It would be great if someone knows and then I could tell her.
Kevin OBrien
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Re: Can anyone help?

Postby Graham Stevens » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Hi Kevin,
I guess you mean the hardware shop between Shillum's grocers and Ware Bros Glass. He was generally known as 'Smiffy' or 'Smithy'. Don't quote me on this(cos Smith is not the easiest name to be accurate about) but I have a vague suspicion there was a family connection with Dave Smith and his Dad who used to own Timbercraft at the top of Oxford Rd. Graham.
Graham Stevens
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby Sparrow » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:46 am

Hi. I don't know if it helps but the name of the shop was Leaches stores,although that was not the name of the chap who actually ran it.
Egards
Sparrow
I
Sparrow
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby Cheri Black » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:37 am

Hi.
Just seen your query!! Yes the shop was Leaches, and my friend Pauline's Dad was Mr Smith, who ran it. Think his name was Alf, but not sure, as in those days, we only ever called friends' parents by their surnames! :D If you like, I can get Pauline to get in touch with you. We are still friends after more than 55 years!!!
Hope this helps. Get back to me if you want any more info.
Best wishes
Cheri x
cheri.arlenghi@tiscali.co.uk
Cheri Black
New Contributor

Postby Pauline » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:25 pm

In reply to Kevins query, Alf Smith ran the ironmongers Leaches Stores, Originally Alf worked for Mr.Leach and when he died Alf took over the running of the shop.

David Smith who ran timbercraft was a relative, as Graham Stevens so rightly said.

Pauline
Pauline
New Contributor

Return to Looking for People & Places