Bata Shoe Shop, (?5)Furtherwick Road

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Bata Shoe Shop, (?5)Furtherwick Road

Postby GMR » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:12 am

Hello, I am researching on behalf of my mother. My father managed the Bata shop until he was recalled to RAMC at the start of WW2 which is when my mother took over the shop. At the time they lived at number 60 which is where I was born in 1940. She would very much like to know what happened to the shop and what Furtherwick Road looks like today. I would be grateful if anyone can give me any any information. Thank you. G.Racher
GMR
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Re: Bata Shoe Shop, (?5)Furtherwick Road

Postby Sparrow » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Hi
You say you lived at 60 Futherwick road ,so you should have lived by Friemuller the florist and Redman's the insurers opposite Premier Ave--now all gone.
I should be on the island in the next week or so and I'll take a couple of photos for you and try to put them on here.
Regards
Sparrow
Sparrow
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby Sparrow » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:27 pm

Hi
Excuse my mistake. It was Trevia not Premier. I was thinking of Premier store in that road.
Regards
Sparrow
Sparrow
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby GMR » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:11 am

Hi Sparrow,

Thank you for your reply. I myself don't recall anything about Furtherwick Road as we moved from there when I was very small. However I am sure my mother would be very pleased to know anything about the area.
Regards
GMR
GMR
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby CanveyAdministrator » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:22 pm

Just to the left of this shot
Attachments
25-fisks-2004.jpg
25-fisks-2004.jpg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
CanveyAdministrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CanveyAdministrator » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:24 pm

I think Bata was in this parade
Attachments
01-aug2001-fle-pit.jpg
01-aug2001-fle-pit.jpg (30.14 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
CanveyAdministrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby CanveyAdministrator » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:26 pm

Again, left
Attachments
05-haystack-furtherwick.jpg
05-haystack-furtherwick.jpg (29.13 KiB) Viewed 5473 times
CanveyAdministrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby GMR » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:50 am

Thank you for the photos which I have shown to my mother. She gave me more information about the shop and I will Email it to you after I have edited it into chronological order.
Kind regards
GMR
GMR
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby GMR » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:46 pm

My Mother's name is Mary Helen Smith and these are her recollections of the Bata shoe shop which was located at 60, Furtherwick Road:
"There used to be a post office on the corner. The post mistress was Mrs Longman. Her son Waris, newly qualified as an officer in the Merchant Navy, was lost at sea during the early stages of WW2.

The Bata shop, (now 'Kebab'), was next door to the post office, on the corner of the main road. The window above was the bedroom where you first 'saw the light of day', literally at about 5.30am. on 7th March 1940.

The whole area was underdeveloped. Across the road which, didn't really lead anywhere, there was an open field. The main Road led to Benfleet, divided from Canvey Island by the Creek in which I swam during my younger days when on summer holidays from the convent, (Edgware Abbey).

'Haystack Corner' sounds familiar. Directly opposite was the local 'fortune teller' - she foretold the War. Otherwise it was an open space - I seem to remember there being a pub there.

We, (my husband and myself), opened the Bata shop, (now 'Kebab'), in April 1939 and maintained quite a brisk trade. The one other shoe shop was 'Ives', which was situated towards the other end of the chain of shops, but was moved to Devon when war became imminent.

Declaration of WW2 was on a beautiful sunny, Sunday morning. Dad was an RAMC reservist and had already been recalled in August to Aldershot. I remained as manageress of the shop. We were quoted by Bata Head Office as being the best in 'sales progress' for summer trading. Dad was given the credit plus having his photo in the firm's newspaper.

With the event of Dunkirk underway in June 1940, Bata closed the shop. Following instructions from Head Office I covered the shop windows with wide bands of brown sticky tape. I was tranferred to West Molesey. Whether or not the shop was re-opened after the War, I don't know."
GMR
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby GMR » Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:09 pm

My mother further told me she thought there actually was at one time, a haystack situated on 'Haystack Corner'. When her dog escaped and ran off, he was usually to be found sitting behind it in the company of a bull terrier who was known to be 'the terror of the island'
GMR
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby quonky » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:17 pm

GMR wrote
"The one other shoe shop was 'Ives', which was situated towards the other end of the chain of shops, but was moved to Devon when war became imminent.

No, it wasn't. Rupert Ives ran the shop right through the war and for many years afterwards, although he wasn't involved on a daily basis from the late 60's onwards.

I can recall Bata re-opening after the War. Dr Lintner, a Czech refugee who set up in practice opposite the Labour Exchange with his war-time friends and colleagues Dr's Machacek and Sonnek, at the sea end of Furtherwick Road, was I seem to recall acquainted with the Bata family and used to visit the Bata estate at East Tilbury.
quonky
New Contributor

Return to Looking for People & Places