New Member? Introduce yourself here!

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Re: New Member? Introduce yourself here!

Postby billbo1029 » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:58 am

Hi

My wife and I honeymooned on Canvey in June 1952 and are looking for where we stayed!

We stayed with a Mr and Mrs Storey who has a middled aged(roughly!!!) son called Fred. I have some old pictures of them and the bungalow but thats about it!

Bill
billbo1029
New Contributor

Postby modelmaker » Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:32 am

Hello, I am Mike I have lived on Canvey since 1947 after moving from Leigh where I was born. We lived on a houseboat near Leigh station, we were told we had to move because of a large marina was being built so we towed our houseboat to Small Gains Creek near Hindles Road in 1947. We lived there until 1957 then finally moved to bungalow, the first time I had lived on dry land.
I have vivid memories of the 1953 floods of which I can tell my story if anyone is interested, also are there any ex paras out there?
modelmaker
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby rads » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:23 am

G'day from perth western australia. my name is paul radley i lived on canvey from 57 until 1970, my grandparents (john & florence fielding) owned the paper shop at the point, my mum & dad(harry & joyce radley) used to run it.we then moved to vandiemans pass, my granparents lived on southfalls rd, i attended leigh beck & furtherwick prk schools. I have many great memories of canvey, wot a great place for a kid to grow up!. Look forward to hearing from anyone who remembers me my parents or grandparents. cheers
rads
New Contributor

Postby queenie » Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:31 pm

Hi, my name is Rita. I remember your parents who owned the paper shop. I was a paper girl for them. I think it would have been about 1956-57. Your father Harry was so nice and would allways worry about me having to carry the heavy paper sacks! We lived in Southfalls Road! My husband used to live in Vandiemans Pass! regards Rita.
queenie
New Contributor

Postby essexcatwoman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:34 pm

hi do you have any info re craft fair in canvey in march?
essexcatwoman
New Contributor

Postby thesmurfinator » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:57 am

HI,
I'm not from the area but recently came upon the concrete barges at Lymm and became interested in their story - it is fascinating!
I'm 35 and had never heard of the mulberry harbours until I started this research.
Sorry to hear about your barge being demolished. I'm an urban explorer and have a love of all things with a history attached to them. It upsets me when we lose something of importance, whether it is a hospital, gothic house or concrete barge!
Well done for putting the site together - it has a wealth of information that I'm sure to be reading for days :)
thesmurfinator
New Contributor

Postby mary59 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:03 pm

Hi, my name is Mary Yates and I found this forum surfing for info about Canvey for my family history research. My maternal grandmother and her parents lived on Canvey approx. 1911 - 1950, I'm hoping someone will be able to help me with my research so will post my query in the "looking for people" section. As you can see I am hopelessly new at this, so please forgive any errors!!
mary59
New Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:23 pm

Hi Mary.
What was you maternal grandmother's name? Did she have brothers/sisters? Do you have any idea where she lived on the Island?
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby mary59 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi, I posted all the info about my grandmother and her parents in the "looking for people" section, I hope that was right? Their surname was Dinney and they lived in Leighbeck. In the 1911 census in Homestead and then later my great-grandmother lived in St. Winnows. I don't know if this is a hopeless task!! Many thanks for asking.
mary59
New Contributor

Postby moggles » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:06 am

Hi everyone, I am new to this forum so hope I get this right!!

Love reading through the forum, brings back many memories. I was trying to find the names Dave and Yvonne Sparks. Any member remember them. Last saw them many years ago in Australia where they moved to, but wonder if they are still in Aus or returned back to the UK. Used to hang around the Commodore in the 60's. Names I remember are Pat and Barbara Bones, anyone know where they are also. Bumped into Pat many many years ago in Southend, she was then living in Benfleet. Other names Martin Kelly (used to ride a motorbike). He used to hang around with Des (now my husband). He married Pam, they then moved to Norfolk.

A note for Dave Bullock: Nearly finished my Mum's memories of her time on Canvey re Azonia Hotel, sending shortly. Moggles
moggles
New Contributor

Postby Hilary » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:41 pm

Hi, My maiden name was Hilary Brand. I moved to Canvey in 1968 with my parents and two brothers, Alan and Graham. Our parents still live in sme houses. I went to Long Road Junior school and then cornelius. i left school in 1978 and stayed on Canvey until 1989. I havn't moved far away and still visit the island regularly.

does anyone remember the gunney off of North Ave? Is it still there?

Regards, Hilary x
Hilary
New Contributor

Postby cat woman » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:48 am

Hello Hilary. Yes i remember the gunney. I dont think it is their anymore. If you scour the Canvey Island. org site im sure you find pictures of what exists now.
You cant just be given an Oscar, you have to truly earn one.
cat woman
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Re: Trying to locate the Gollar Family

Postby John Clarke » Tue May 05, 2009 5:36 am

:D Hi My name is John Clarke. I lived in Thistle Road for many years. My father's name was Alan & My Mother Mary. My father's sister is called Eileen Gollar.
The Gollar family are well know on the Island. Does anyone know their where abouts. I would appreciate some assistance.

Thank you Kindly

John
John Clarke
New Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Tue May 19, 2009 1:00 pm

Hi John. It's really good to see you've found this site. I'm your dad's cousin, Maureen, and still regularly speak to Eileen on the phone and visit her when I can. I have tried to email you through this site to give you more details so I'm hoping to hear from you soon.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby peter » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:31 pm

hello, my name is peter and i would like anyone tell me about a ghost that haunt canvey and it is a dutchman who carry a sack over his shoulder and i want to know where on canvey does he haunt.
peter

PreviousNext

Return to Looking for People & Places