New Member? Introduce yourself here!

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Re: New Member? Introduce yourself here!

Postby chelsea » Sun May 11, 2008 10:29 pm

Hello my name is Siobhan,

I have lived on the island since 1962, i have 2 sisters Susan and Anna, we all went to Furtherwick park school. They have both moved off the island now, my mum still lives here though. Some people may remember the Tool Factory called Egans, at Charfleets it shut down a long time ago now. My dad Leslie Gecsek was a foreman there, quite a few ladies that worked in the factory remember him. He died 16 years ago. The Island has really changed since i first lived here, i remember before there was a road that runs into smallgains, it was just the creek then, we used to walk from Spanbeek Road over the hill straight to the creek. There was no Castle View school or houses, just fields, it seems like only yesterday. And the biggest shop on the High Street was Claxtons.
chelsea
New Contributor

Postby queenie » Fri May 16, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi, my name is Rita, born on Canvey 1947, went to Leigh Beck school and Furtherwick Park. My maiden name was Finn, anyone remember me? I remember how Canvey used to be, such good memory's!
queenie
New Contributor

Postby BIG AL » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:11 pm

Hi all ,
I was born on Canvey in 1963,mums parents used to run the Cafe Rose in 1955,dad used to be on the gas board ,then a landscape gardner for many years,i used to work for Mr Mrs Bishop in their greengrocers in the High St , by Maurice Rd,which many years later i took over and run for ten years,
still on the Island.
BIG AL
New Contributor

Postby pixie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:59 pm

Hi just joined and thought I would say hello..

I lived on Canvey till 78 I went to Leigh Beck & Furtherwick School..

My Maiden name was Chrissy Daniels & I have 4 brothers Nik, Andre, Paul & Simon.

I lived with Clive Smith and got pregnant at a young age .....15 :shock:

But hey ho.

Anyone about that remembers me..?......Cx
pixie
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby keno » Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:05 am

Ken Collyer Canvey Isand 1956 - 1984 moved to South Africa, i lived down the point,Van Diemans Pass
Schools: Leigh Beck Primary + Further wick Park ( Fred Watkins) etc. a great place to grow up +
still good to go back and visit old friends, i was there in May this year, but battled to contact most of
my old friends, so can any one help find 1/ Fred Ayers (Peter) 2/ Brady Hall 3/ Dave Howe 4/ Phill Benfield
5/Bob Kemsley 6/ robert Ketley 7/ Andrew Skrivener and my cousins Robert,Les,& Micky Collyer
any one with any info would be appreciated . Big Thx KenC
keno
New Contributor

Postby pixie » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:25 pm

keno wrote:Ken Collyer Canvey Isand 1956 - 1984 moved to South Africa, i lived down the point,Van Diemans Pass
Schools: Leigh Beck Primary + Further wick Park ( Fred Watkins) etc. a great place to grow up +
still good to go back and visit old friends, i was there in May this year, but battled to contact most of
my old friends, so can any one help find 1/ Fred Ayers (Peter) 2/ Brady Hall 3/ Dave Howe 4/ Phill Benfield
5/Bob Kemsley 6/ robert Ketley 7/ Andrew Skrivener and my cousins Robert,Les,& Micky Collyer
any one with any info would be appreciated . Big Thx KenC

Did he lose the sight in one eye..?......Think he was in my class................ :?
pixie
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby grooveyval » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:12 pm

Hi my name is Valerie Sparkes (that was ) and I live in Scotland. I lived on Canvey till 1968, though I still visit a lot as I have a lot of family there. I was born in 1944 and attended long road primary and Furtherwick park schools. I left school in 1959 after staying on for an extra few months so that I could go to the school trip to Switzerland. We stayed at The Hotel Alpenrose in Wilderswil near Interlaken.Can anyone else remember that trip. I remember I shared a room with Josie Alterman. We were good friends then and I often wonder how life is treating her. Her Dad owned Altermans arcade. Does anyone know of her?
I loved my life on Canvey, and have many happy memories, especially singing and dancing with Georgettes Juveniles show on a Saturday night at Thorney Bay Camp for the hollidaymakers.
Val
Long live rock and roll
grooveyval
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby owlman » Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:18 am

Dave Bullock wrote:Hi

:idea: Once you have joined say hello here!

Welcome

Dave

Hello to everyone,my name is Gary Loveday,moved to Canvey in 1967 from Plaistow,East London,been here ever since,love all the old photo's on the site,will try to dig a few out next time i go to my mums
owlman
New Contributor

Postby CanveyKiwiman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:18 am

Hello,
Im a new member having just joined today after stumbling across the web site by chance.
I was born on Canvey in Oct 1949.My Nana was Daise Jenkins who lived at "Viola" Van diemens Pass. Sid jenkins used to work part time at the Admiral Jellico and prior to that at the Ford works. Terry , Sids son was my mothers half brother .My mothers sister Clarice also lived on Canvey and had sons Paul &Andrew Stalham.
We left canvey after the floods and imigrated to New Zealand.I would like to cover our flood experience in a later posting.I would love to hear form any one who can remember my nana Daise.

Bernard De Vere(New Zealand)
CanveyKiwiman
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby WHITTUS » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:23 am

Hi all.
My name is Jane Whitfield.My grandparents lived on Cavey Island and I spent many a happy time there.My family and i went to visit Sunday 24/8/08 to have a look round but every thing has changed so much since i was a little girl which would have been in the early 60,s.we used to walk from my grandparents bungalow along a cinder road to the end and then along the wall until you eventually came to the sea front.but as it has change so much and no more bungalow ,i could,nt find where abouts her bungalow was. Can anyone help.
They lived at Birchdale Bungalow,Church Parade, Winter Gardens,Canvey Island. if anyone can give me an old map and new to show me where to go. There name was Mr & Mrs Middleweek.
When we went on Sunday I remembered the sea front and the little fun fair. if you stand at the sea wall facing the fun fair we used to walk from the right hand side along this wall. it was quite a trek.
look forward to any response.

Jane.
WHITTUS
New Contributor

Postby owlman » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi everyone,I was born in London but moved to Canvey in 1967, I was 6 yrs old then, loved it here growing up,still here but the Island has changed,and not for the better. I was the first intake to the newly built Cornielius Vermuyden school,I lived not far from it in Fifth Avenue,My name is Gary Loveday
owlman
New Contributor

Postby valeriepask » Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi. I have been doing some family research and am searching for the grave of my Grandfather. His name was Jack Emery and he lived on Canvey Island. Quite a few searches I have done have brought me to this Website for Canvey Island. I remember staying with my Grandparents as a child, and loved it! Apparently my Grandfather died in or around 1953. My Grandparents were there for the 1953 floods, but I have drawn a blank with all my research. He was married to Florence and they were Salvation Army people. Apparently he was buried in Canvey Island, but I cannot find any graveyards listed there. Has anyone got any idea where a death at that time would have been registered, or indeed, where they would have been buried? My Grandmother moved from Canvey Island in 1955/56 back to Croydon to live with her daughter. I do not know the address in Canvey Island where they lived. I would be grateful of any help or advice.
valeriepask
New Contributor

Re: Gary Loveday

Postby Wamburg » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:55 pm

Hi Gary
You were at school with my son and I remember you playing football. We lived in First.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Re: Valeriepask +Research on grandfather

Postby Wamburg » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:59 pm

The graveyard on Canvey where your grandfather was buried is probaly St. Katherine's at the Village. I think if you contacted the Salvation Army on Canvey they would possibly be able to help you. Good Luck!
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby valeriepask » Tue Sep 16, 2008 10:36 am

Thank you very much for the information, I will try there. What a great Website this is!
valeriepask
New Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Looking for People & Places