New Member? Introduce yourself here!

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Re: New Member? Introduce yourself here!

Postby bill » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:08 pm

Hi,
My name is Bill West. I live in Benfleet which is where I've lived most of my life. I'm interested in local history and old photo's
bill
New Contributor

Postby Pauline » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi, my name was Pauline Smith and I was born on Canvey Island in 1948. I left there in 1977, when I moved to Witham with my husband and little boy. My Dad ran the ironmongers called "Leaches Stores" in Furtherwick Road. I believe that somebody was enquiring about him. His name was Alfred (Alf) Smith and he used to frequent the Corner Club on a very regular basis!!!! He also used to sing there and was known in other venues too!!! My Mum (Alma Smith) worked in Jones Stores and then in the ironmongers with my Dad. I also went to Long Road Primary School and was in the Girls Life Brigade, 2nd Canvey Company.
Pauline
New Contributor

Postby Lindlings » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:41 am

My name is John Price. I have not been to Canvey since before the war when I visited my Uncle Bob and Aunty Alice who retired to Canvey having bought a bungalow in Maurice Road. In my childhood Canvey was to me just magic. Every September we had a fortnight's holiday ..I particularly remember my favourite bungalow called Raglan Cot and Dad's favourite pub ...The Red Cow (Charrington's prize ales). That was in the mid 1930's so I am so pleased to learn about what is going on in Canvey these days..alas, Uncle Sam's Minstrels long gone. I did my 5 years in the RAF during the war (navigator) and now am living a very quiet widower's life in Harrogate. I hope that I have introduced myself adequately
Lindlings
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby doreen » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:34 pm

Hello My name is Doreen Boon I am looking for my cousin Alfred Johnson who moved to Canvey Island with his wife Sally and son Gareth a few years ago from Tower Hamlets London. I have lost his new address and really do want to get in-touch. I would like him to know I am doing the family history again. If Garath reads this please ask you Dad to call me. all I know is Gareth is on the internet.
doreen
New Contributor

Postby CanveyAdministrator » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:40 am

Hi Dawn - welcome to the forum

Post this message in the 'looking for people and places' aswell!

Dave
CanveyAdministrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby aled48 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:19 pm

Hello

I am hoping someone can help with the message i placed on the forum.
aled48
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby Jack » Wed May 05, 2010 10:46 pm

Hi everybody, my name is Jack O'Keane.
I lived on Canvey from mid 1930's until 1950, attended long road primary and secondary schools. After leaving school at 14 I worked at Mr Leach's farm for 1 year app'x, then started work at Coryton helping to camouflage the storage tanks there. Working on the same job, was a retired canvey fisherman named Bill Sorrel, he was travelling to work in his rowing boat from the LobsterSmack to Coryton and invited me to join him in the boat, which i did ( permission had been given to Bill that our work times could vary with the tides / weather conditions ). Later we where joined by a friend of mine George Scantlebury, George and I did the rowing and Bill the steering . It was great.
During 1943, I joined the Merchant Navy then left during 1950 and moved to London. Despite hardships at times, it was wonderful growing up on Canvey Island, I would love to hear from anybody who knew me and my older brother Pat.
Jack
New Contributor

Postby TriciaBooth » Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:58 pm

Hello Everyone. Here's a very quick hello from me, a new member. I googled Canvey Island and found this lovely site (for which many thanks) because I had just reconnected with relatives that I didn't even know about til recently. I was sorting out some photos of my childhood visits to my Grandparents in Canvey, for them, and came across this site so I thought I'd share with you.

Although my father relocated to Norfolk asnd married my mother there, his family were from London, and somehow (I don't know the details) his parents lived in a bungalow on Canvey during the time that I knew them. From about the 40's to the 60's we travelled there every year on trains and buses. I have many photos but not very good quality, and mostly of family members since my mother's photography was all about people, not places. Even so I hope to share what I have with you.

I'll be posting some more specific messages shortly.
Tricia
TriciaBooth
New Contributor

Postby gazza » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:44 pm

Hi my name is gary I went to long road primary school then onto the seconary modern school which I left in 1962 lots of people I can remember including Keith Bonzor( remember Clacton ) and Tommy Nicholls and the gang from North Avenue . Good memories I now live in Queensland Australia still remember the good times there though. All the best
gazza
New Contributor

Postby GTCanvey1970 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:04 pm

Hello all,

I my Name is Graham and I was born on Smallgains Avenue in 1970, I grew up there and went to Leigh Beck (best school ever!), i have some great memories of growing up in the Island (Kings camp, Monaco and i also remember drinking in the Goldmine) all of my family are from Canvey with many of them still there including my Brother and my cousins.

I regualy visit the Island a number of times a year since moving up to Nottingham and to be honest i really do miss the place!

I remember Island toys (i think) and spending my pocket money on small toys and jokes, spent most of my teens around the monaco and the Windjammer and of course Kings.

The web site is great and i am so glad i found it!

Thanks,

Graham
GTCanvey1970
New Contributor

Postby trev » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:30 pm

hi,like the site, great idea. lived on the island from 1946 till the 70's. family ,like many others, moved down from london after the war. first in vaagan road then the winter gardens. was a great place for kids then, unlike now. living in cambridgeshire at present but try to visit once a year. trev
trev
New Contributor

Postby Sparrow » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:46 pm

Hi Trev
I used to deliver papers in Vaagen road from 1956 to 1959. What was the name of your house?
I also delivered them to the convent for a local paper girl because she said that on dark winter mornings it was too scary.
Regards
Sparrow.
Sparrow
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby trev » Fri Nov 19, 2010 9:38 pm

hi, sparrow

it was called " sahara", only there for about a year before moving to concord road on the winter gardens

trev
trev
New Contributor

Postby Michael » Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:30 am

Hi! I'm Michael, I was a registered member on the old site, returning. Little slow finding my way around. I first arrived on Canvey Sept.1939, lived in the Winter Gardens until 1962, about? Lived in a house called "Silverglen" on Hilton Park Road. I remember some of the war years and a lot of the post war years. I have a 3x2" photo of members of the Winter Gardens club next door Lunns store. There was a question about the club a couple of years ago. Look forward to sharing information. Have a nice day.
Michael
New Contributor

Hannah you looking for your Dad !!

Postby Rachael Ronaldsen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:56 pm

HannahJ wrote:Hello,

My name is Hannah Jessen. I've come here mainly looking for family, as since my parents divorce I lost touch with all my cousins & relatives on the island.

My dad was Terry Stephen Jessen (now going by Ronaldsen I believe), & my aunt's were Sandra Jessen (Now Stevens I think), Pauline Jessen, Jackie Jessen, Leeann Jessen (Now Green I think) & Petina Jessen. My Uncles are Graham Stevens (Married to Sandra), Colin Jessen (Married to Jackie), Raymond Jessen (Married to Pauline), & I'm not sure about the others. My grandmother is Brenda Jessen & my grandfather is Ronald Jessen, My great grandmother was Lillian Spiers (Nanny Pie).

I understand I have 2 half brothers Zac & Marcus Ronaldsen, who I have never met. I also have about a million & one cousins, Kelly Jessen, Blake Jessen, Dwayne Jessen & Luke Jessen (Colin & Jackies children), Clare Jessen, Kerry Jessen (Pauline & Raymonds children), Gemma Stevens (Sandra & Graham's daughter).

I'm trying to find out anything like, if I've got any "New" relatives, or really anything about them.

If you know any of them, or have any information, please get in touch.

Thanks

Hannah

Hi Sweetie, My name is Rachael,Your Dads wife... he is trying to figure this sight out how to work it but its not easy... dont even know if you'll get this message or see it, but now Myself & your Dad has joined this site you will be able to E-mail us when you are ready x He does Really hope you'll be able too !
Rachael Ronaldsen
New Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Looking for People & Places