New Member? Introduce yourself here!

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Re: New Member? Introduce yourself here!

Postby vanessaj » Mon Jun 08, 2009 6:49 pm

Hi my name is vanessa and i moved from canvey when i was 12,i used to live at may avenue,i lived in southend for a short time before moving to wales when i was fifteen,i have settled here but still i long for canvey.
my mum lives on the island i visit twice a year.But i wish it was possible to move back,however with a husband and four children and jobs its not so easy.
I am interested in all the history and stumbled accross your web site by chance its great ,thanks for making it possible for me to use the site when im feeling home sick.
vanessa jones (nee butcher)
vanessaj
New Contributor

Pammie

Postby pammie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi, I'm Pam and have been put onto this site and find it really interesting.
I was born on Canvey in 47 and lived there till I was 25 when I moved to Norfolk with my husband Martin and our two children. Have fond memories of the place and go back a few times a year to visit friends and my brother John. We used to live down the point and our haunt used to be the Commodore cafe. Does anyone remember it, long gone now I think.
Have kept in touch with some friends, but it would be great to get in touch with some I am not seen for many years. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Jean Greenwood, Tina Jones (don't know married names), or anyone who remembers me from way back.
pammie
New Contributor

Postby Tony_Q » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:55 pm

I was born in 1949 in Wanstead and lived in Manor Park until I was 18. My parents bought a house in Thundersley and 3 years later, along with my young wife and baby son I moved into one of the residential caravans on the Hole Haven site next to the Lobster Smack. I remember it was owned then by an ex bookmaker named Stan Barratt I believe and as I was working in a betting shop myself I became quite friendly with the old boy. He lived on the site and I spent many evenings throughout 1971 listening to his great stories of dog tracks before and after the war. I loved living right next to the sea wall and would often go up there late at night to watch the moon glisten on the water...the sky was full of stars too. There was a little shop on the site then run by a middle aged woman named Bella who I also got on well with. I lived there until March 1972 when we moved back to London. I have never forgotten that lovely summer of '71 though, nor Canvey itself...it was very quaint at the time. I have been back a few times but it has changed beyond recognition!
Tony_Q
New Contributor

Postby leveya » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:50 am

HI JUST FOUND YOUR SITE ITS VERY INFORMATIVE IV LIVED ON THE ISLAND ALL MY LIFE IM NOW 60 I WENT TO LEIGHBECK SCHOOL THEN ONTO CANVEY SECONDARY SCHOOL IT WOULD BE GOOD TO HEAR FROM OTHER ISLANDERS THAT REMEMBER ME.
TONY LEVEY
leveya
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby nannajessop » Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi I have recentlly found this site
I am researching family tree and wondered if anyone knew Herbert and Karla Harriss. They lived at 32 Heeswyk Road CANVEY iSLAND
Herbert died 1981 In St Josephs Hospice Hackney. I do not know what happened to Karla. I understand that she initially came from Germany.
I would appreciate any information about them or any children they may have had especially to know if they were buried on Canvey Island.
This island seems to have been a friendly place to live
Many thanks
Nanna Jessop
nannajessop
New Contributor

Postby HannahJ » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:11 pm

Hello,

My name is Hannah Jessen. I've come here mainly looking for family, as since my parents divorce I lost touch with all my cousins & relatives on the island.

My dad was Terry Stephen Jessen (now going by Ronaldsen I believe), & my aunt's were Sandra Jessen (Now Stevens I think), Pauline Jessen, Jackie Jessen, Leeann Jessen (Now Green I think) & Petina Jessen. My Uncles are Graham Stevens (Married to Sandra), Colin Jessen (Married to Jackie), Raymond Jessen (Married to Pauline), & I'm not sure about the others. My grandmother is Brenda Jessen & my grandfather is Ronald Jessen, My great grandmother was Lillian Spiers (Nanny Pie).

I understand I have 2 half brothers Zac & Marcus Ronaldsen, who I have never met. I also have about a million & one cousins, Kelly Jessen, Blake Jessen, Dwayne Jessen & Luke Jessen (Colin & Jackies children), Clare Jessen, Kerry Jessen (Pauline & Raymonds children), Gemma Stevens (Sandra & Graham's daughter).

I'm trying to find out anything like, if I've got any "New" relatives, or really anything about them.

If you know any of them, or have any information, please get in touch.

Thanks

Hannah
HannahJ
New Contributor

Re: Pammie

Postby George47 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:16 pm

pammie wrote:Hi, I'm Pam and have been put onto this site and find it really interesting.
I was born on Canvey in 47 and lived there till I was 25 when I moved to Norfolk with my husband Martin and our two children. Have fond memories of the place and go back a few times a year to visit friends and my brother John. We used to live down the point and our haunt used to be the Commodore cafe. Does anyone remember it, long gone now I think.
Have kept in touch with some friends, but it would be great to get in touch with some I am not seen for many years. Does anyone know the whereabouts of Jean Greenwood, Tina Jones (don't know married names), or anyone who remembers me from way back.

Hi Pam, we could well have been at school together, i was also born on the Island in 47, and ( small world ) i have lived in Norfolk since 1962!
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby George47 » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:33 pm

Hi, i'm George Smith. I don't know if anybody remembers me.
I was born on the Island in 1947, in a house on Park Lane/The Parkway? Mum & dad rented the place while dad was building our bungalow on Coker road. We moved there when i was about 8 months old i think.
We lived there until 1962, when we moved to Norfolk.
I recognise some of the names mentioned in these posts, but so many posters are are anonymous/don't say when they were born which is a bit frustrating.
It seems that the majority of posters lived at the other end of the Island to me, but most of us ended up at Furtherwick road school.
A question for Graham Stevens. Was Tony Stevens your brother? I was at school with him, and he had some success with his band as i remember, saw him on TV quite a lot.
I left school in 1962, and took a job at Egans, which i enjoyed, but i was only there for about a month, when we moved to Norfolk.
I look forward to reading if anybody remembers me.
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby cogob » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:09 pm

I was born near Leigh Beck in 48, left the Island in about 67, schools were Long Road, William Read and Canvey Secondary Modern, recognise many of the names mentioned (including Graham from the 10th Southend at the Baptist Church (was it you who had the fight with one of the twins)). Would not want to return to live back on the Island, for me it has been spoilt with the over development.
cogob
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby canveyoldboy » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:35 am

Hi all
My name is Frank
I lived on Canvey from 1947 to 1958.
I was at Long Rd Junior school from 1947 to 1950,then went up to Long rd Seconary school(by Jones Stores)till 1955.
Thats all for now
Frank
canveyoldboy
New Contributor

Postby annenorthfield » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:01 pm

Hello Bill.

I'm the grand daughter of Harry & Alice Storey, and I recognise the picture of my grandparents. I was born in the bungalow that you refer to in 1968. Both grand parents died in the 60s and my father, Fred, died in June 2005, aged 88. My brother has also sent a post in response to your photographs. As my brother has already said, the bungalow no longer exists: my parents sold the land to developers in the 70s and it has now been replaced by 2 smaller bungalows. The road is called Rattwick Drive and the bungalow sat at number 25. I think if you were to visit now you would obviously not recognise the surrounding houses but the seawall hasn't changed and I think the flood warning alarm is still there (although not arriving until 1953!).

I am happy to share memories with you.

Regards
Anne
annenorthfield
New Contributor

Re: Introducing myself

Postby RayMitchell » Fri Nov 06, 2009 5:56 pm

Hi,
Just found this site when off work for a few days with a bad back. I have been doing a bit of family history, and thought i'd look to see what was going on with Canvey these days. I lived on Canvey for about 10 years from about 1957. I went to both schools in Long Road, and then Furtherwick Park, which was then Canvey Island Secondary Modern. I left school in 1962 at 15, and used to travel from Benfleet on the train to work in a shipping office in the City of London. I lived in several places on Canvey with my parents, two sisters and my brother. I remember living in Lottem Road, in a wooden bungalow named 'The Rockies', and another wooden bungalow which went by the name of 'Gifhorn Villa' in Gifhorn Road. Anything less like a 'villa' I couldn't imagine. When I was at secondary school I was in class Upper 1, and remember the headmaster and some of the teachers there, including 'Slasher' Eales, who was referred to in the website I also came across about William Read school.
I now live near Southampton in Hampshire, and work at Lyndhurst Community Centre in the New Forest, where I have been for about five years, since having had enough of a garden maintenance business, which I ran with my wife for about 15 years.
I would be interested to hear from anyone about Canvey, especially if they think they might have known me. I thought I recognised the name George Smith, who has posted a message on the site, and who seems to have been at Furtherwick Park at around the same time as me
Regards to all: Ray Mitchell
RayMitchell
New Contributor

Re: Introducing myself

Postby George47 » Sat Nov 21, 2009 12:04 am

RayMitchell wrote:Hi,
Just found this site when off work for a few days with a bad back. I have been doing a bit of family history, and thought i'd look to see what was going on with Canvey these days. I lived on Canvey for about 10 years from about 1957. I went to both schools in Long Road, and then Furtherwick Park, which was then Canvey Island Secondary Modern. I left school in 1962 at 15, and used to travel from Benfleet on the train to work in a shipping office in the City of London. I lived in several places on Canvey with my parents, two sisters and my brother. I remember living in Lottem Road, in a wooden bungalow named 'The Rockies', and another wooden bungalow which went by the name of 'Gifhorn Villa' in Gifhorn Road. Anything less like a 'villa' I couldn't imagine. When I was at secondary school I was in class Upper 1, and remember the headmaster and some of the teachers there, including 'Slasher' Eales, who was referred to in the website I also came across about William Read school.
I now live near Southampton in Hampshire, and work at Lyndhurst Community Centre in the New Forest, where I have been for about five years, since having had enough of a garden maintenance business, which I ran with my wife for about 15 years.
I would be interested to hear from anyone about Canvey, especially if they think they might have known me. I thought I recognised the name George Smith, who has posted a message on the site, and who seems to have been at Furtherwick Park at around the same time as me
Regards to all: Ray Mitchell

Hello Ray. Sorry, i've only just seen this Post, even though i check the site several times a day to see if there's anything new. I'm sure we must have been there at the same time, but sorry, your name escapes me. My memory is like a sieve to be honest, but i remember the night of the floods like it was last week, and amazingly for me, still remember our family's telephone number better than than my present one. It was Canvey 562.
As i said before in another post, the boys i remember were Stephen Harvey, who was excellent at all sports, also a Harvey Stephens, and Tony Stevens in the same class. A lot of Stephens or Stevens to confuse the teachers when they read the register. Other boys i can remember Johnny Webb, Spud Hayter, the Ward twins, Peter & David, "tubby" Thorne.
I'm hoping to visit the Island next year, maybe stay for a week, and it would be good to meet up with a few people.
Something that struck me while thinking back was, a big percentage of our teachers seemed to be Welsh for some reason. One that stands out is mr Davies, and us boys used to wind the poor sod up something rotten, to get him going, and he'd start stamping his feet, shouting settle down boys, settle down.
Happy days!
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:12 pm

Hi Ray
As you can see by my Log In name, I used to live in Wamburg Road, off of Gifhorn. I can remember the name Gifhorn Villa but not exactly where it was. Was it on the left or right looking down from Baardwyk? How far down?
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby CC4 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 8:56 pm

Hi my name is Carol, I lived on Canvey from 1983 when I got married for a few years, and absolutely loved it. I lived at 21 Ormsby Rd, then 8 St James close. Worked at good old Camping and General!!!! still going strong I see???? but now live on another little Island!!!!...........in New Zealand. I still have freinds there that I stay in touch with, it was a really friendly place to live. I'm looking for an old friend called Pat Smythe and am posting on the "looking for" page too, so if anyone can help, that'd be great. Cheers :D
CC4
New Contributor

PreviousNext

Return to Looking for People & Places