A few names i remember.

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Re: A few names i remember.

Postby Graham Stevens » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:22 pm

Hi George,
The photo of the Village is a bit before our time, it's taken on Long Rd heading east towards the Village(technically this section is now called Canvey Rd) you'll recognise the Orange Cafe on the right and the newsagents is just past that on the corner of Holehaven Rd (it's still there today) The buildings in the background, on opposite corner are still there too( I think they are listed,) you would have known them as Cox's Stores possibly. I don't think any of us can remember the Village Pump and the Red Cow(King Canute) being right up on the road. How old does Dave think we are???. Re the Flood carpet ; it wasn't until the other day, reading some of my Mum's diaries, that I found out we didn't get ours until early in 1955, still worth noting and celebrating !!.
Graham.
Graham Stevens
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby George47 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:33 pm

CanveyAdministrator wrote::D

Blimey my memory is bad. I was born on the Island in 1947, and left in 1962, so must have passed the Nightingale Cafe everyday on the way to school, but i can't remember it.
It certainly wasn't a Blockbusters or Ladbrokes then either :lol:
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby George47 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:48 pm

Graham Stevens wrote:Hi George,
The photo of the Village is a bit before our time, it's taken on Long Rd heading east towards the Village(technically this section is now called Canvey Rd) you'll recognise the Orange Cafe on the right and the newsagents is just past that on the corner of Holehaven Rd (it's still there today) The buildings in the background, on opposite corner are still there too( I think they are listed,) you would have known them as Cox's Stores possibly. I don't think any of us can remember the Village Pump and the Red Cow(King Canute) being right up on the road. How old does Dave think we are???. Re the Flood carpet ; it wasn't until the other day, reading some of my Mum's diaries, that I found out we didn't get ours until early in 1955, still worth noting and celebrating !!.
Graham.

Hi Graham. I don't remember that cafe as the Orange Cafe, but as i say, my memory is very patchy. So this picture is coming from the direction of Northwick corner, right? Cox's Stores rings a bell. I think there was another cafe at the top of Haven road, on the right, coming from Holehaven, and the Newsagents & cafe just around the corner, on the other side of Haven road/Long road.
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby Lulu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:04 am

I think the cafe your thinking of may have been Wally Browns.
Lulu
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby George47 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:07 am

Hi, thanks Lulu. That's right, Wally Browns, i remember that name now you mention it. Was the Newsagents and other cafe owned by Flynns?
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby Lulu » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:45 am

Hi, I can only remember the newsagents being called Newmans.
Lulu
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby cogob » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:00 pm

The name of the cafe where the Thorns used to be was the Rose Cafe later which was later to be the Gold Mine
cogob
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby George47 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:47 pm

Thanks Lulu & Cogob. 8) 8)
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby Sparrow » Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:00 pm

Hi
Sorry to correct you but the Rose cafe and the Gold mine are not the same building.
The Rose cafe was on the corner of Furtherwick road and Leigh road,The Goldn mine was on Western esplanade and was formerly known as the Bay country club.On Sundays the dance floor was used as a roller skating rink.
Regards
Sparrow
Sparrow
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby CAROL » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:17 pm

Hi George,
I feel as though I should know you, my name was Carol Macquarie,I lived in Lionel Road, the Cul de Sac end.
Pat Bones was at school with me as was Joan (Bishop) Liddiard.
My Dad (Ken) was a Fireman and he also had a big grey coach which was altered into a
travelling shop and went all round the Island.
Carol
CAROL
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby George47 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:42 pm

Hi Carol. My memory is pretty bad, and i still can't remember you, i'm sorry. I'm sure we were there at the same time though. I'm hoping to meet as many people as possible while i'm on the Island, and while i'm there, seeing different places might jog the old memory a bit.
I'm bringing a load of old photo's for the Archive people to look at, and maybe some of those photo's will be put up on here for all to view.
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby CAROL » Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Hi again George,
I hope that your visit will be a fruitful one for you, enjoy it
Unfortunately I will not be able to come and see the film
of the photos as I live on Portland Dorset, one Island for another!!.
Carol
CAROL
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby George47 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Thanks Carol, maybe you'll recognise some of the faces in the photo's if the Archive put them on here.
You like your Islands then Carol. :)
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Previous

Return to Looking for People & Places