A few names i remember.

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

A few names i remember.

Postby George47 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:21 am

My memory is quite bad, but a few names i can remember (not sure about the spelling of all the names) from around the area where i lived, (Coker road, Ormsby road, Clinton road, Haven road) David Loader, Alan Munt, Derek Wilkinson, Micky Norris.
At school, i remember we had a Stephen Harvey AND a Harvey Stephens and Tony Stevens (Grahams brother?) "Spud" Haytor, Johnny Webb, Micky Cain, Paul Emery, twins David & Peter Ward, a Sparkes boy (David), John? Aspinall, "Arthur" Askew, Peter Whelan. "Tubby" Thorne, i think his name was John, and his parents ran a cafe where the Canvey Boxing Club used train, does anybody remember the name of that place?. I can't remember many girls names, Pat Bones, mentioned in another thread on this site, Joan Bishop, Karen Bartlett, a few, but all these names were born about 1947, same as me.
I might remember some more later, but if anybody remembers any of these names it would be good to hear from you.
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Re: A few names i remember.

Postby canvey joe » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:10 pm

Hi I know Micky Cain is still about i see he most saturdays
in the Canvey Con Club.I will pass a message on to him .
Mick Norris is also about although i dont see him all that often
Best REGARDS Canvey Joe.
canvey joe
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby George47 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:44 pm

Cheers Joe. 8)
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby janp » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:03 am

Joan Bishop is now Joan Liddiard she is a local Councillor. You will find her flood memories on Canvey Community Archive.
http://www.canveyisland.org/page_id__344_path__0p2p19p.aspx
janp
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Postby George47 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks Jan. A good read, Joan looks well. And yes there were street parties for the Coronation, later in 1953. We were staying at my nans in Walthamstow, close to Leytonstone, for a few weeks after the floods.
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby Sparrow » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:30 pm

Hi Joan
Re your flood memories.
We also had the only bungalow in our road [Urmond road] with an upstairs.It was a kind of bed sit for visitors. Within a couple of hours of the breach we had so many neighbours up there and both the beds were full of people including me aged 8. Also people on the floor.
The next morning when we went downstairs the bend in the ceiling was unbelievable.
We were eventually taken to live with relatives in London for 3 weeks. During that time a news paper photographer jumped out in front of my mum and me and snapped us. In the next edition of the paper we were reported as dead including photo. Probably a freelance using a sick way of getting a fee. One day i'll go to there archives and look it up.
During the subsequent clean up I was sent to the Council depot in Sydervelt road to collect our free issue of DDT disinfectant.It is highly toxic and now illegal. It was given to me in a quart beer bottle and was given a label with" POISON" printed on it This was licked and applied with the same bare hand that the man had used to pour the stuffinto the bottle
Great memories
Regards
Sparrow
Sparrow
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:27 am

Do you remember the bottles of wine that people were given after the Floods? Were they from Australia? We were also given carpets as well. People were so kind.

I can remember attending a Coronation Day party at Nightingales Cafe at Jones's. Although I lived at Leigh Beck, my aunt Kt Hunt, Audrey's mum had paid for me to attend. I watched the Coronation on a television at the home Millie Kenneally who lived in North Avenue across the road from Aunt Kit. I think Julie and Billy were also there. Such a long time ago.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby George47 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:32 pm

I can't remember if mum & dad got any wine, but i do remember the carpet we got, it was garishly patterned, in red, white & blue, but as Joan said, probably the first carpet our family ever had. This, and the food parcels us kids got at school stand out in my memory of how kind people from all over the world were.
Wamburg wrote "I can remember attending a Coronation Day party at Nightingales Cafe at Jones's." Was Nightigales Cafe, at Jones, opposite the Canute, Wamburg? If so, i was there too.
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby Sparrow » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:49 pm

Hi
Nightingales was in Long rd opposite Jones stores
Regards
Sparrow.
Sparrow
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby George47 » Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:58 pm

Thanks Sparrow, but my memory is bad. I know where the Canute is, but were Nightigales & Jones stores near the Canute? If so, that was the street party i went to.
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby CanveyAdministrator » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:40 am

:D
Attachments
014-1949-22july2006.jpg
Nightingales Cafe (2004)
014-1949-22july2006.jpg (29.69 KiB) Viewed 4976 times
CanveyAdministrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Sparrow » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:19 am

Hi George
The Canute is at the western end of Long road but Jones's and Nightingales are hlf way along it.
Sparrow
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby George47 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:41 am

Ah, thanks Sparrow. The street party i went to was outside another cafe. I used to live on Coker road, which was off Haven road. At the top of Haven road, opposite was the Canute. We used to call this area the Village. Looking from the Canute, across the road was a Newsagent/tobacconists and a cafe next door. I think both were owned by Flynns. I was a paper boy there, and my mum worked in the cafe sometimes. I remember they had a lovely springer spaniel dog.
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby CanveyAdministrator » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:07 pm

8)
Attachments
06-jg-village-teas.jpg
Cafe on the right
06-jg-village-teas.jpg (27.9 KiB) Viewed 4961 times
CanveyAdministrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby George47 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:18 pm

I'm afraid that picture doesn't ring any bells Dave. What road is that? It's 48 years since i left the Island.
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Next

Return to Looking for People & Places