Canvey Island Schools 1940's

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Re: Canvey Island Schools 1940's

Postby muddyfeet » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:27 pm

I remember they were Anglican nuns. There was also a small burial ground connected with their order not far from the playground. Ha ha today's pc morons would have a fit. Never bothered me. I too, was in the upstairs classroom in the house for my final year which I think would gave been c1955.
I remember Ivan Linter he was the son of Dr Linter who had a practice with Dr Macaczech. They had escaped and came to England during WW2. I seem to remember they were Raf pilots but that may simply have been local embroidery!
I remember the names you have mentioned but cannot remember their faces, memory is a capricious sense, somethings are so clear and others you rack your brain but you cannot recall. Sometimes I used to wonder when I was far away if the convent and those days was simply a dream.
I will look out the photo and get it posted.
I do remember the lovely festivals and fetes in the school grounds and rehearsing 'The holly and the ivy' carol I can still sing every verse!!!. Did you go on to St Bernards? I tried but there were no spare spaces for Non Catholic girls that year. Is the school still flourishing I truly hope so. I left UK in 1960 and only visited Canvey once after that which was for one day about 1978/9 on family business.
S
muddyfeet
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:25 am

Yes, I did go to St. Bernards but after the Convent I found is much stricter and less friendly. They didn't seem to like the pupils from canvey and we were always being told in Assembly that we'd been seen in the street eating sweets or without our berets - both cardinal sins!

I can remember being asked to write essays on where I'd gone for my Christmas holiday or what i'd watched on TV. We couldn't afford to go on holiday and didn't get a TV until I was 14. I was supposed to take my GCEs a year early but my mother died just before we returned to School in September. My father was distraught and I missed days looking after him. I started to fall behind with my work so at Christmas I left. They were very unhappy as my parents had signed for me to stay on until I was 18.

The Convent is still going strong and I visited St.Bernard's in connection with my job a couple of years ago. There are no nuns there now and they have accepted boys for the last few years!!

Did you live on Canvey? I must have known you.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby Sparrow » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:43 pm

Hi
I went to secondary school with some children who went to the conventwho you might have known. Their name was Mc Dermott. Francis and his brother Seamus came to Willim Reed with us but I think Mary and her older sister went to St Bernards.
Regards
Sparrow
Sparrow
Major Contributor
Major Contributor

Postby George47 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:37 pm

Hi, we lived opposite a catholic family called Blainey. The oldest boy was Billy Blainey, then Laurie, then Sue, who was about my age, and the youngest was Patrick. Their parents were Olive & Bill.
I remember those doctors, mentioned above too. I think there was another doctor called dr Sonick (sp ?)
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby muddyfeet » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:24 am

Yes Wamburg I lived with my grandmother on Canvey Island.My father worked in Nigeria and my mother and siblings went to join him after the floods. I was of school age so had to stay behind. I lived in Ferndale Crescent. Later we moved to Westcliff then my father went to work in the Middle East and this time we all went. Great times.
muddyfeet
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby Peter Salussolia » Mon May 16, 2011 10:07 pm

Hello Muddyfeet and Wamburg! Not sure who you are but I am Peter Salussolia. I see from your blog that you remember me from our early days at St. Josephs on Canvey Island. Now, at the tender age of 67, reading your blog brought back a lot of memories. Unfortunately I am very bad at remembering names but one of the names mentioned, Peter Easom, I do remember as he used to come round to my house as a school friend. Have you heard from him at all since those days?
I am married and now live in London and after reading your blog I joined the CanveyIsalnd.org web site, so hope to hear back from you.
Kind regards,
Peter
Peter Salussolia
New Contributor

Postby janp » Tue May 17, 2011 11:17 am

Do any of you who went to St Josephs have any photos from that time. On the archive we have a section on the schools http://www.canveyisland.org/category_id__14_path__0p2p.aspx on the Island but very little about St Josephs and we would very much like to change that. If you can help please email me jan@canveyisland.org
janp
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Mon May 23, 2011 12:18 am

Hi Jan
I think I've got one or two. I'll see if I can find them and put them on.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby janp » Mon May 23, 2011 9:12 pm

That would be great thanks
janp
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Previous

Return to Looking for People & Places