Canvey Island Schools 1940's

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Canvey Island Schools 1940's

Postby bob2bond » Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:04 pm

Hi Forum,

I am trying to find the school my father could have attended on Canvey island in the 1940's. He was born in 1935, and we are led to believe he attended a catholic school on Canvey Island, from approx 10 years of age, so from about 1945 to 1950 ish. Does anyone know what schools existed at this time and were any of them catholic?

Also were there any private schools in the area? We believe he possibly attended a boarding school prior to going on to secondary school at age 10. By all accounts it was only a small school and was run by 2 sisters.

Thanks for any help,

Lynn
Cumbria
bob2bond
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Re: Canvey Island Schools 1940's

Postby Graham Stevens » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:49 am

Hi Lynn
Yes, there is a Roman Catholic Infants/Junior school on Canvey; St Joseph's. Unfortunately it is one that at present does not feature on the Canvey Community Archive site (www.canveyisland.org), however if you go to the link on the home page for Dave Bullock,s original site(canveyisland.org.uk) you'll find some info there provided by Maureen Buckmaster(aka Wamburg).I do know the initial intake there was 48/49,so should fit in with your dates.
The private school would have been Kingsley Hall,also known as Miss Gwenn's(one of the sisters). There are still a few ex-pupils around on the island from that time so more info might be forthcoming.
Graham.
Graham Stevens
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby bob2bond » Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:40 pm

Thanks very much Graham, we will have to check it out.
Do you know where Miss Gwenn's school was?
Bob & Lynn
bob2bond
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby Graham Stevens » Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi again,
I hope we are on the right track with Kingsley Hall school. It was owned by Miss Gwenn Evans and the sister was called Mrs Trott.On a modern map of Canvey it would have been to the North of Harvest Rd and just South of the bend where Central Wall Rd becomes Sommes Ave. The building must have dissappeared in the early 50s and the only on-line image I know is on the C.C.A SITE; directions; go to Characters,then Hester, then Dave Bullock's version, r/h side nearly at the bottom there is a photo of the horse -drawn mono-rail, the building in the background is Kingsley Hall(probably not a school then).
My wife's uncle George Spires was born on Canvey in 1935 and was also a pupil at Kingsley Hall so was probably a classmate of your father's. If you could give his name I can make further enquiries. Graham.
Graham Stevens
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby bob2bond » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi Graham,

Thanks for the reply and info. My father was called Peter DEMONTI, born 1935, but we think he may have had a different name when he was a child, but don't know for sure. Also from what he told my mum, he lived up a lane and went to school on Canvey Island on a bus. But Dad did not talk much about his early life and our information is very scanty indeed. So the tale of the bus may be wrong, or somehow mixed up. We just don't know, so any help is very welcome.

Lynn
bob2bond
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby Graham Stevens » Tue Sep 15, 2009 5:54 pm

Hi Lynn
I have spoken to George Spires and but unfortunately he had no recollection of anybody of that name when he was at Kingsley Hall in 1941. Just one more question, does the 'bond' in your e-mail adress have any significance as there was Peter Bond on Canvey who would have fitted into that age category?
Graham.
Graham Stevens
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby bob2bond » Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Hi Graham,
Thanks for the reply. No, the name Bond is not significant unfortunately.
We will just have to keep searching, but many thanks for all your help.

Lynn
bob2bond
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby Susanne » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:29 pm

My cousin John Wooldridge used to live at the flat on the school. Miss trott taught my uncle Jim (Jack) Houghton to read. He didn't go to school because he had to help the family. But is younger brother Peter did so Miss help uncle Jim.

Susanne
Susanne
New Contributor

Postby bob2bond » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:57 pm

After much research we now know that Peter DE MONTI was fostered or adopted by a Glorie MONTGOMERY, who also called herself DE MONTI and in 1939 they were living at Lourdes Mount, Pound Lane, Pitsey. Another child also being brought up by Glorie went to school at Bowers Gifford, so we now think Peter probably also attended that school. While the family were catholic it seems they went to a C of E school. While we have now figured out the name, we still have not figured out the Canvey Island connection may be, but we are still looking.

Thanks,

Lynn
bob2bond
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:13 am

I don't think your father could have gone to St. Joseph's on Canvey as it opened in about 1949.There were only a very few classes. I was in the class with the oldest students and we were all born around 1942. There were fourteen of us and the only Peter in my class was Peter Salussolia who lived in one of the big houses, just past Convent Road towards Thelma Avenue.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby bob2bond » Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:59 pm

Thanks for that.

Lynn
bob2bond
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby muddyfeet » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Wow Wamburg! I remember Peter Salussoli, that's a real blast from the past. We must have met at the Convent at some point in the past. I was in Sister Monica's class then Sister Annunciata.I had a very happy time at the convent. I remember it as a wonderful environment to learn in. Remember Mother Catherine?
I still have quite a few names and faces of the pupils in my memories.
muddyfeet
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:04 am

Hi Muddyfeet. What a surprise! I've found very few people who were at the convent when it opened. I was in Sister Imelda's class and was so fascinated by her I used to practise her lopsided smile!! I remember Sister Monica well. At playtime, on our first day there, she chased us around the playground, which was the old tennis courts, swinging her long black strap that she wore around her waist. At first we were a bit frightened and then we realised she was joking. I also remember Sister Annunciata who taught me later on. Years after I left I drove her to Watford to visit her sister in law.

The convent, for me, was such a happy place. We used to do country dancing and the Highland Fling. There were only 12 or 14 in my class including Peter Easom, Barry Newman (now a solicitor) Bronwen Palmer, Evelyn Collins, Bridie Collins, Julie Keneally, the Raine twins, Tommy Hendry and one of the Clifford brothers.

I remember having to stand up and sing when the nuns visited from Wanstead as I knew a few Irish songs. My grandfather worked there for a while as a gardener/handyman.

Mother Catherine always seemed very tall to me. Was it Sister Agnes who used to work in the kitchen? I also remember the Nativity plays at Christmas. One year I was the Narrator and I can still remember all my lines as well as the songs we were taught for the Coronation, including a song in Afrikans! Happy days.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby muddyfeet » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:15 pm

Gosh you took me on a wonderful walk down memory lane thank you so much - I have a lovely photo of one the Nativity plays they put on. Such happy times. Do you remember Christine Robinson, Miriam Collier, David Colvert, Carol Noakes? I too remember Sister Imelda, she was strict, but an excellent teacher.
muddyfeet
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:40 am

Yes, I remember all of them. I can remember going to Christine Robinson home in Benfleet. After I posted the message last night I also remembered Pat Charles and Doreen Godfrey. Please do put your picture on the Canvey website. It would be lovely to see it.

I think I was the Convent's first sort of May Queen. Ivan Lintner was the page who carried the crown and there was a procession from the church to the field at the back of the Convent, where an altar was set up and I crowned the statue of Mary.

Do you remember the two old non Catholic nuns who lived in the house? During my last year at the Convent we used the upstairs of the house as a classroom. You must have been in the year younger than me. Do you remember Tricia Burton? We met at the Convent and were best friends until we both married and then we lost touch although I did phone her a year or so ago.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Next

Return to Looking for People & Places