Looking for Victims of the Canvey Island Flood of 1953

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Looking for Victims of the Canvey Island Flood of 1953

Postby cguil_uk » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:18 am

Hi
I am an amateur genealogist.

Does anyone know anything about William White, and his wife Edith, who perished in the Canvey Island (England) Floods of 1953 please?

Another Victim, mentioned on the memorial plaque - Marie White - may, or may not, be a relative. Can anyone confirm please?

Edith White (née Griffith) was my 1st cousin twice removed. I would be interested to know if they had any family.
Edith was born abt. 1892 and married William White Sept 1915 in Enfield, Middx., England. She would have been 61 when she died.

Thanks in anticipation
cguil_uk
New Contributor

Re: Looking for Victims of the Canvey Island Flood of 1953

Postby wildmeadows » Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:49 pm

I was in the Canvey Island floods and my father Sidney Alterman had a general store. Several of our customers perished in the floods and, as my sister lived on the island a long time after I did, I will ask her if she remembers the names that you mentioned.

Shirley Orchard
wildmeadows
New Contributor

Postby cguil_uk » Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:10 am

wildmeadows wrote:I was in the Canvey Island floods and my father Sidney Alterman had a general store. Several of our customers perished in the floods and, as my sister lived on the island a long time after I did, I will ask her if she remembers the names that you mentioned.

Shirley Orchard

Thanks Shirley

in 1953 Edith White (age 60) and William (age 62) lived in 'The Croft', Newlands Road

Marie White (age 65) the widow of George White (an army sergeant), lived in 10 Craven Avenue - possibly William's sister-in-law??
cguil_uk
New Contributor

Postby janice hankey » Sun Nov 09, 2008 7:43 pm

my name is janice hankey (nee bottone) i lived on canvey during the floods and was attending canvey county school at the time i remember the flood very well i was living in meynell avenue and had to be rescued along with two of my sisters firstly by small boat to an army lorry at approx 3pm on the 1st february 1953 on our journey from our house i remember passing the haystack which was slightly submerged then up along long road to jones corner at the crescent and north avenue all the cars were almost totaly submerged i remember very well looking at the tops of the car roofs then on to the red cow pub (now the king canute) that was totaly dry hence the new name we were then taken to benfleet and from there we went to stay at my aunts house in buckhurst hill for six weeks we then returned to all the cleaaring up and back to school where we had been sent presents from schools in canada also lots of sunmaid raisins and tinned kipper fillets .Our parents were delivered a very nice carpet from the canadians also. i beleive we were sent a large amount af money to help with restoring canvey but to my knowledge the only thing i can remember is a small playground being erected at the bottom of mornington road for us to play in. i left canvey finally in 1987 and now live in a remote village in north norfolk a tiny bit like canvey as i remember her in the 1950s im afraid its the country life for me now on. although i visit quite regularly as i have children and children living there.
janice hankey
New Contributor

Postby janp » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:59 am

Have you found Edith in the 1901 census? I know from your postings elsewhere that you said you could not find either William or his wife Edith nee Griffith. I have found Edith. If you want a copy of the census please email me direct mailto:jan@canveyisland.org
janp
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Postby joan q » Wed May 13, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi

My family and I were living on Canvey at the time of the flood and we were living in Trevia Avenue. I remember being woken up and told by my dad to get out of bed, there was water on the floor and when I looked out of the window a lot of things were floating outside. We lived next door to my aunt and uncle and we were passed out of the window to my uncles bungalow, then we went up in his loft. Eventually a boat came and took us to another aunt of ours who owned the cafe opersite and from there we were taken off the island, the main thing I remeber is a large stuffed bear outside jones store.

from joan smeaden
joan q
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby George47 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:06 pm

We lived on the corner of Coker/Ormsby road, off Haven road. My dad, a builder had built our bungalow about 3 foot above ground level. ( he must have known something was going to happen!)
Anyway, i woke up in the night, and went to my bedroom window to see water everywhere, instead of the fields that surrounded our bungalow.
Not understanding why this should be, and ran to my mum & dads bedroom, shouting that there's all water outside my bedroom, begrudgingly, mum & dad got up and we all looked out of their bedroom window. All water there too!
We woke my younger brother Eddy & all went to the kitchen and made a cup of tea, while dad got on the phone ( i was surprised that the phone was still working)
Dad said if we were quick, Farmer Jock Norris would take us to Benfleet on his lorry.
I would be 6 in 2 weeks time, Eddy was 4. Mum was pregnant with my youngest brother Bobby, to be born in July.
We had loads of rabbits & chickens up the garden, all were lost except 1 pregnant rabbit that dad had to go and rescue, and we took with us.
So there we were, carrying all we could with us, up to the top of the road where true to his word was Jock Norris & his family, and a few others, we all jumped up on the back of the lorry which proceeded to make it's way cautiously to Benfleet station.
All very exciting for an almost 6 year old boy, although i didn't realise the devastation, death and misery that had happened, until later.
We went up to London to stay with my mums mother for about a month, i even had to go to school there. And the rabbit had her youngsters while we were in London.
I too remember the parcels of sultanas etc. that we got when we returned to Primary school on Long road. Also i still remember the garishly patterned carpet that we were given.
In general, my memories of the Island are a bit sketchy, but that couple of months remain quite vivid to this day.
George47
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby muddyfeet » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:15 pm

I remember we were awoken by a siren wailing and we looked up out of the windows thinking it was a fire then looking down we saw the water. I think it was in the hours before dawn A policeman in waders knocked on the door and recommended we should try and leave. My father was working abroad in Africa so my grandmother and mother packed up a few things then with my brother and sister we set off walking through the cold, dark water. Sounds crazy now doesn't it. We walked up the lane and along the road and a man with a car stopped and said he would help us. I believe he had lost someone that terrible night. He gave us a lift to Benfleet Station. The platforms were crowded with people in night clothes, slippers and whatever belongings they could carry. One lady had a parrot in cage. The passengers on the trains pulling in looked at us as if we were mad. No rolling news in those days. How strange I can still see the water and the assorted refugees at the station after all these years.
S
muddyfeet
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Return to Looking for People & Places