Fox Family, Strange Family

Looking for Canvey people or places? Ask here.

Moderators: CanveyAdministrator, Dave Bullock

Fox Family, Strange Family

Postby tamsin54 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:00 am

I would just love to find anyone who knew the Fox family in Canvey, also the Strange family. My Paternal Grandparents Frank and Clara Fox lived by the sea wall, I have many happy memories of visiting them. Also my Maternal Great Grandmother Emily Strange, I am unsure of the wherabouts of her little house, but it had a name "Glenfield" she was 80is when I was born, My Mum Patricia (Pat) lived with her and GreatGrandad after her mother died at a very young age. Mum and many of the cousins from London used to stay at "Glenfield" during the war years. I am currently compiling a family tree for my children and Grandchildren, along with a cousin of mine who lives here in New Zealand. :D
tamsin54
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Re: Fox Family, Strange Family

Postby Wamburg » Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:49 am

Hi Tamsin

I used to live next door to Nana Strange, as I knew her, and your mum Pat. They lived in Wamburg Road. I have a photo of Nana Strangewith my brother, when he was a baby in the late 1930s and also one of her with my niece and me in the late 1940s or early 1950s. If you give me your email address I'll send them to you.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby tamsin54 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:12 pm

Hi Wamburg, when I saw that name I realised it was a name that I remembered. I have tears running down my face right now, the thought of you knowing my Greatgrandmother. When we left canvey for New Zealand Nan said to Mum " dont let the children forget me" and I never have, I remember her so clearly, I remember the little house she lived in, and can describe the lay out of that house. I have never been back to Canvey, I guess I wouldnt recognise it now. I would very much like to see the photo's if you are able to upload them here, or alternatively you can contact me yoo_hoo27@xtra.co.nz....... WOW is all I can say right now :D
tamsin54
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby tamsin54 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:14 pm

Oh, I meant to say I have a couple of pictures of Nana and some identified people.. so maybe they are of you and yours?
tamsin54
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:44 am

Hi Tamsin. They might be photos I forwarded to another message from someone on another site a couple of years ago. Your Nan was a fixture of my childhood as her back door was sideways on to our bungalow, so if she was in the garden we would always talk to her. I'll email you the photos, just in case they're different.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Postby tamsin54 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:55 am

The photo's I have are originals :) My Uncle Arthur would have taken some of them I think... funny I can remember playing with someone, when visiting Nan, Mum used to put me on the bus, and she would walk with the pram with my Brother, and Nan would meet me at the end, and walk across the field to her house...and by that time Mum would have arrived. You know I can remember having breakfast with her, bacon and eggs, I still have a mad passion for bacon, eggs, and fried bread!! It is so very wonderful coming across you, by the way my name is Anne, and my Brother ( who sadly passed away at 23yrs, was Trevor <3
tamsin54
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby CanveyAdministrator » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:25 am

Please scan the photos and upload them here - or email them to me at:
r e p l y @ d b u l l o c k . c o m
CanveyAdministrator
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby tamsin54 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:43 pm

CanveyAdministrator wrote:Please scan the photos and upload them here - or email them to me at:
Attachments
Family 1941.jpg
hopefully this photo is ok
Family 1941.jpg (150.83 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
tamsin54
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby tamsin54 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:47 pm

tamsin54 wrote:
CanveyAdministrator wrote:Please scan the photos and upload them here - or email them to me at:
Attachments
GG Strange August 1948.jpg
GG Strange August 1948.jpg (137.58 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
tamsin54
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby tamsin54 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:49 pm

tamsin54 wrote:
tamsin54 wrote:
Attachments
Nanna and Bird.jpg
Nanna and Bird.jpg (131.6 KiB) Viewed 3889 times
tamsin54
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby tamsin54 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:29 pm

I was thinking about Nan's neighbours in the middle of the night.. and the name Collins came to mind??? any clues. I think I only remember neighbours on one side, which in my mind were on the right side looking at the front of her house??
tamsin54
Minor Contributor
Minor Contributor

Postby Wamburg » Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:43 am

Hi Tamsin I haven' looked at this site for ages and have only just seen the photos of Nana Strange. I don't know the other people in the group photo. If you looked at Nana's house we lived on the right of it and shared a fence.

The Collins family lived at the end of the road on the same side as us. They were a lovely, elderly couple who came from the North East of England. Mr Collins was always gardening.

If you see this let me know and I'll upload the photo I have of Nana Strange.
Wamburg
Keen Contributor
Keen Contributor

Return to Looking for People & Places